Friday, March 30, 2012

I'm Blown Away! My Blown Covers Submission was picked!


















I almost fell out of my chair when I saw that my submission to this week's Blown Covers contest was chosen as the winner. The theme for the week was "Spring".
Many thanks to  Françoise Mouly and  Nadja Spiegelman for creating the Blown Covers site ... such fun for those of us who dream of actually landing a cover illustration. And, of course, thanks to Françoise for choosing my image this week! There were so many strong submissions - it was a real honor to be noticed. Her comments on the image were:
This week’s winner is “Bearly Awake” by Jack Hunter, who cleverly uses the end of winter to show the arrival of spring. I’d have asked him to remove the bunny slippers — since they’re in the center of the picture, they distract you from connecting the bear with the newspapers. Also, in this day and age cigarettes on the magazine’s cover would instantly trigger angry letters. But I like the bear’s posture and the use of shadow - well done!
Thanks again, Françoise and Nadja!!

2 comments:

Teresa Rodriguez said...

Congratulations! That is adorable. I vote to keep the bunny slippers. :) Loved last week's entry with the hot dog selling taxman, too. You do awesome work, Jack.

Jack Hunter said...

Thanks, Teresa! I'm glad you liked the bunny slippers.
Your Spring Training cover submission was outstanding. So cool that it was being considered as an actual cover!